Last year during Ramadan month I brought before you a very famous Hyderabadi recipe “Dahi Vada” Dr. Mantena style. This year I decided to bring another Hyderabadi delight and today’s Mantena’s special is “Khubani ka Meetha”. A Hyderabadi needs no introduction to this world famous dessert.
Khubani ka Meetha is served in every Mohammedan marriage and other function and is available at most of the restaurants in Hyderabad. It is often served after food with ice cream and custard which is not good for health. Keeping the health as a prime motive I tried to moderate the recipe slightly in Dr. Mantena style without missing the flavor and taste of the dessert.
Khubani means Apricot. Khubani ka Meetha is actually made with dry apricots that are usually found in dry fruit shops. These days golden apricots are available in almost every super market. But we need the traditional Indian apricots that are dry as shown in the picture below.
Apricots are rich in Vitamin C, A, copper, fiber and potassium that helps in protecting the body from free radicals, protects your eye sight, skin from inflammation and helps in digestion and free bowel movements.
So without wasting much time lets go into preparation details.
Khubani (Dry Apricots ) - 250 gms
Honey - ½ cup
Water - 750 ml
Preparation time: 30 minutes
The process of making khubani ka meetha is quite simple. You only have to follow some of these simple steps.
1. Soak the apricots for 6 – 8 hours, preferably soak over night for better results.
2. Once soaked, stain the water in another vessel and keep aside.
3. Now press the apricots with your hands and remove the nuts as shown below and keep them aside in a bowl. These nuts can later be used for dressing the dessert.
4. Now put the apricots in a cooking pan and add the water used for soaking as shown in the picture below.
5. Put the pan on the stove and cook the apricots on a medium flame for about 20 minutes. Cover the lid of the pan.
6. 20 minutes later take half cup honey and put into the pan and saute it well and let it cook for another 5 minutes.
7. By now the apricots are almost cooked. Now take half bowl of apricots from the pan and mash them into a fine batter in a blender as shown in the picture below.
8. Now add this batter into the pan and mix it well and keep mashing the remaining apricots into small pieces with a ladle as shown in the picture below. This will make the concentrate thicker. You will enjoy both paste and pieces of the apricots together. It gives a great taste to the tongue. Cook for another 5 minutes and remove it.
9. Finally break the nutshells of the apricot and you will find apricot almonds in it which are very tasty. Roast them for a while and remove the skin of the nuts and season the delicious Khubani ka Meetha along with a cashew on top of it.
Believe me my dear friends, it turned out to be really delicious dessert matching neck to neck with the dessert prepared by any professional. But remember the difference we have not used any harmful taste like others. I would like to advise you to serve this hot for better results. I found yummier when it is served absolutely hot or when it is chilled in a refrigerator. I hope you would like to make and enjoy this Hyderabadi delight. Keep watching the space for more updates.