Today’s special in Dr. Mantena’s Kitchen is Beetroot Halwa. Beetroot is a root vegetable with dark, purple skin and pink/purple flesh. Its earthy, rich and sweet flavor and vibrant color lends itself to a variety of both sweet and savory dishes.
Beetroot is a close relative of spinach and chard and has an earthy flavor and a good nutritional content - it's also reckoned to be a good detoxifier. Moreover it is inexpensive and available throughout the year but February and March is the right time to find good quality beets.
Beetroot is a rich source of micro-nutrients like Potassium, folate, magnesium, phosphorus, vitamin C and Iron. People also say that consuming beetroots will increase the hemoglobin count. I am not sure how true is that but I can certainly tell you that it helps in free bowel movement.
Now without wasting much time let us go into the details of making this wonderful Beet Root Halwa.
1. Beet Root – 1 big size
2. Milk - 1 glass
3. Honey - 5 tbsp
4. Cardamom - 4 nos.
5. Cashew nuts - ½ cup
6. Milk Cream - 2 tbsp
1. Thoroughly rinse the beetroot, remove the skin and scrape it into small pieces with a scraper and store it in a bowl.
2. Light on the stove and roast the cashews in a pan till light brown. Cashew gives great taste to the halwa. You can use the milk cream (meegada) to fry the cashews if available. Or else you can fry without it as we did here.
3. Add scraped beetroot and cook till the water of the beet evaporates and becomes dry.
4. Now add a glass of milk and cook on a small flame with lid closed till the beetroot cooks. It normally takes 15-20 minutes to cook the beets. 20 minutes later remove the lid and cook till the water evaporates and becomes dry again. Adding milk removes the raw flavor of the beet and gives a delicious taste.
5. Now add cardamom powder into it and add 4-5 tbsp of honey and sauté. Cook for another 5 minutes and remove.
6. Now serve the delicious beetroot halwa seasoned with few cashews over it.
Whenever you and your children feel like having a dessert or sweet after lunch or dinner, instead of buying from a sweet store, you can make this healthy and delicious recipe at home without much effort. Basically people make this halwa frying deeply in ghee and sugar which leads to diabetes, cholesterol and obesity etc in the long run. This recipe is completely harmless and equally delicious. You and the children will also enjoy it without any concerns. Give a try and find out.
I hope you like this and keep watching this space for more updates.